EU
PC
OP
GB
Rep:
87%
Decided to go and buy a second hand 4790k from eBay and it landed with only the CPU with no fan. So I went and installed it with the normal stock cooler that was already in the computer. Ive never installed an after market cooler before but I'm looking 2 buy one as temps seem to be quit high as it is now.

- Idle Temp 30/40oC

- Running COD2 temps sit around 60/70oC

- Running PUBG temps sit around 80oC

- Streaming/COD2 temps around 80oC

- Prime95 test, LOAD 100%. CPU hits 100oC ??

Are these temps too high for a Stock Cooler? The CPU isn't overclocked so they seem quite high to me. But if some computer genius can correct me please do.

Performance of the card seems to be a pretty good upgrade from the i5 4460.

And can somebody point me in the right direction for which after market cooler to buy for my mobo, so it fits with no problemo? My computer is quite an old case ill post this below also. The image is below.

My Motherboard:

MY BEAST OF A COMPUTER (ps i know it looks a mess but don't care how it looks just looking for it to run smoooooth, yeo)

Anyone using this cooler?
https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/cooler-master-hyper-tx3-evo-cpu-cooler-a99wr

Thank you m8eyz x

Edited 4 times, last edited 13/10/17 - 5:41am.
Downvote
5 wks ago
GB
Rep:
84%
Post Likes: 1
Im in love with cable management
Downvote
5 wks ago
GB
Rep:
85%
Post Likes: 2
rekon ur graphics card should be in ur top x16 slot wade (the blue one). the bottom one is for sli only and is probly runnign at x2. nvidia control panel > help > system information. scroll down on right hand side what does it say for bus:?. buy a coolermaster 212 hyper or someshit, ther like 25 quid. will lower ur temps allot. some thermal paste remover for the old stuff aswell
Downvote
5 wks ago
HR
Rep:
87%
myb ur termal paste isnt fit like it seems to be..dunno im just guessing
Downvote
5 wks ago
OP
GB
Rep:
87%
@rekingball Haha Ryan. Tidy job I know.

@markb Tries fitting the card into the top slot but it's way too tight and can't seem to get it in. The computer case is old as anything. Think I may have to by a new one and move everything over. But that's the reason I bought the 4790k so I didn't have to rebuild the whole system with the new processors.

@jok3r_ I think il go try an after market cooler today and re-apply the thermal paste.

Cheers for the replies xx
Downvote
5 wks ago
CZ
Rep:
82%
i have i6600k with coolermaster, the temps are like ~15c lower than this, so i'd say they're fine for stock cooler..
Downvote
5 wks ago
OP
GB
Rep:
87%
@myss Cheers. Think I'm gony but an aftermarket today and ou that in to see how it looks then.
Downvote
5 wks ago
OP
GB
Rep:
87%
Update:

Installed Hyper TX3 and temps now are

- Running PUBG temps sit around 50/60oC

- Prime95 test, LOAD 100%. CPU hits 70/80oC

Around 20/30oC difference.

Cheers for the help!
Downvote
5 wks ago
NL
Rep:
87%
I have the same CPU and I had also high temps with the stock cooler! I asked for @markb^ his help, he knows a lot about everything so it seems I personally bought this one (thanks to markb). Went from like 75C to 40-45C with the following upgrade.

https://www.alternate.nl/Noctua/NH-D14-CPU-koeler/html/product/143409?event=search

I also upgraded my videocard with an:

www.informatique.nl/540356/arctic-cooling-accelero-xtreme-iii.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwyIHPBRAIEiwAHPS-GHGiCVfMSwdmZDSamQLj0VfkDl5ND1NkL0jKyD-Phsdl6TwVmGmqPhoCGCgQAvD_BwE

Tempeture was around 100C, this on a Sapphire R290 with a stock cooler and the temperature with the aftermarket cooler went down to like 75C

I don't have any statistic,but it cooled down a lot! Also, clean once in a while your filters and make sure that the airflow in the case is correct, which also was not good in my pc. Thought I knew a lot, but made some basic mistakes

Which case do you have? How many coolers?

I also read the rest of this thread. I would recommand you to do what markb says. Buy a new case so your GPU card will fit in the right slot. Off course if you have the money for it This also helps to cool down your system in general if you buy a really good case. Good cases don't have to be expensive.

Edited 5 times, last edited 14/10/17 - 8:45am.
Downvote
5 wks ago
OP
GB
Rep:
87%
Everything is working fine now I got the card into the correct slot and a have installed the Hyper TX3 on the cpu.

Cheers bro
Downvote
4 wks ago
FI
Rep:
88%
EU PC CoD2 Admin
Downvote
4 wks ago
GB
Rep:
84%
Push pull fan setup wadeski
Downvote
4 wks ago
h1z
HR
Rep:
84%
Hey guys,
Since I don't want to open a new thread I am asking here, currently I have PC with these specs:

AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition,
ASUS M5A78L-M USB3 motherboard
8 GB of Kingston's DDR3 Memory @ 1600 Mhz
ASUS HD7850 2GB DDR5
ANTEC VP450P power supply.

Since I don't want to upgrade my gpu and psu yet I would like to only buy new CPU, MBO and RAM.
I was thinking about buying Ryzen 3 1200, is it worth? If it is can you recommend me which MBO and DDR4 should I get with?
Downvote
4 wks ago
FI
Rep:
88%
EU PC CoD2 Admin
Quote from h1z on the 19th of October 2017:
Hey guys,
Since I don't want to open a new thread I am asking here, currently I have PC with these specs:

AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition,
ASUS M5A78L-M USB3 motherboard
8 GB of Kingston's DDR3 Memory @ 1600 Mhz
ASUS HD7850 2GB DDR5
ANTEC VP450P power supply.

Since I don't want to upgrade my gpu and psu yet I would like to only buy new CPU, MBO and RAM.
I was thinking about buying Ryzen 3 1200, is it worth? If it is can you recommend me which MBO and DDR4 should I get with?
I would say that anything you buy is worth it since youve got an old setup. You should ask yourself before upgrading your pc what it is you would like to do with it. If youre looking to stream, work with video editing or just play some games. If you want to stream for example after upgrading or in the future you should pick components that are upgradable. Doesnt mean that you have to buy the ones with the bigger pricetag right now but like with the mobo you might wanna consider buying a x370 model with more capabilities and a chance to upgrade it to a better processor in the future without buying a new mobo. Of course you can buy a b350 and put a better ryzen in that one in the future aswell, it all comes down to what features youre looking for. If youre only gonna play some games and are not looking for future upgradability youre fine with the b350 or even a320 models which are much cheaper but are not so stacked with features. Depends what you want. For memory it doesnt really matter which ones you choose other than checking that its compatible with the mobo (speed 1866/2400/3200 etc).
Downvote
4 wks ago

View All Featured Upcoming PC Tournament:
Advertisement:
Current events
Advertisement:
PUBG?
I want to play in CG PUBG competitions
I only play PUBG casually
I dont play PUBG
1207 Votes