EU
PC
OP
GB
Rep:
34%
Post Likes: 1
Considering the majority of the community have an opinion when it comes to custom maps but don't want to actually get their hands dirty with the mapping tools i thought i would create a thread for people to post designs/layouts/building ideas. There may be some other mappers lurking within the community who are looking for a bit of inspiration about what the community would like to see and there my be some people who think they have a great idea for a map but dont know who to approach.
Now, to keep this as simple as possible, if posting a design or layout please ensure you have looked over this thread http://www.cybergamer.org/forums/thread/268339/An-Observation-of-Maps/ so the basics are included, you can go into as much detail as you like, obviously more is better but a simple layout done in paint can still be worked on (as i did with mp_demaze from a simple sketch on tek-9) providing routes players can go are clearly marked.
Bulding designs, one of the main features of any map are the surroundings, some are open, some are shut off, single floor, multiple floors, the options are limitless, you can also use real world locations. As an example i like to look at photo's taken in Afghanistan and see the way the buildings are there and see if they can be recreated, obviously the buildings we are used to in the current maps are pretty simplistic so there's no need to find something outrageous, it still has to be built and the more complex the building the longer it would take to recreate.
It will be interesting to see how this thread develops and maybe some good ideas will come of it.
Downvote
5.9 years ago
US
Rep:
34%
Not a bad idea, because we have a lot of people that have ideas but don't want to be bothered with doing them.

I just wish more people would give mapping a try. It may seem confusing but once you learn it, it's actually pretty simple. It does take time, but you don't have to spend all your time on it, you can take it slow and still have yourself a map.
Downvote
5.9 years ago
GB
Rep:
32%
If you got an idea, just get out there and do it yourself.

I might make a tutorial video explaining how to make a simple "aim map". With terrain patches / texturing / spawns / skybox / objects etc etc. Although I'm mega busy as it is.
Downvote
5.9 years ago
GB
Rep:
34%
Quote from acedlol on the 14th of September 2011:
If you got an idea, just get out there and do it yourself.

I might make a tutorial video explaining how to make a simple "aim map". With terrain patches / texturing / spawns / skybox / objects etc etc. Although I'm mega busy as it is.
That would be pretty cool if you could do that for us.
I always have map ideas in my head, but can never explain them.
Downvote
5.7 years ago

View All Featured Upcoming PC Tournament:
Advertisement:
Current events
Advertisement:
How good at your best game are you?
One of the top 20 players
Top 1% of players
Top 2% of players
Top 5% of players
Top 10% of players